If you are looking for an amazing breakfast, look no further. This is one of my creations that is so full of flavor and whole food plant-based goodness that it will knock your socks off. It definitely scored a 5/5 with my family. Enjoy.
This is such a delicious breakfast. Full of flavor and protein and simple goodness.
Main Ingredient: Tofu Eggs
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- For the Tofu Eggs:
- 1 16 ounce firm tofu pressed (see below)
- 1⁄2 medium Anaheim Pepper finely diced
- 1⁄2 small red onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 T. Frank’s hot sauce
- Vegetable broth (I use Better Than Bouillon brand)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 c. nutritional yeast
- 1 T. Tumeric
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 2 large sweet potatoes sliced in half lengthwise, cooked on 425 on a cookie sheet with either parchment paper on top or a s
- 1 can refried beans black beans, or pinto beans, warmed (I like to add a sprinkle of cumin and chili powder, salt and pe
- 1 can sweet corn warmed
- Pico (I love Harmon’s jalepeno fresh salsa, if you live in Utah)
- 1 avocado sliced in thin slices
- Corn Tortillas warmed on the griddle just before serving
- For the tofu:
- To press tofu–wrap in a clean kitchen dish towel and place several heavy books on top. This makes the tofu a little more dense and releases some of the moisture. The books will get damp so put plastic wrap on top of the tofu and then the books on top. Let set for 20 min.
- Pour about 3 T. of the broth in a nonstick skillet and add the Anaheim pepper, garlic and onion and saute about 5-6 min on medium high. If it looks like it is starting to burn, add more broth. Add Frank’s hot sauce and saute for just a minute longer. Set aside while you get the tofu ready.
- Mix nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt and pepper together. Break the tofu apart with your hands and toss in the nutritional yeast mixture until well coated. Add this to the anaheim pepper mixture in the fry pan. Turn on heat to medium and add a little more broth, but not too much. You can always add more if it is looking too dry. Saute turning carefully the tofu chunks so they don’t make too many crumbles. Heat about 10 min and let sit and cover with lid so it stays warm.
- Prepare remaining ingredients as instructed.
- Serve order:
- corn tortilla
- beans (if you aren’t using refried do these after the sweet potato)
- sweet potato
- tofu eggs
- (cashew cream would be yummy drizzled on this as well)