When I talk to most people about tofu their reaction is–EWWWWW GROSS, but you’ve got to try this recipe and that EWWWWW will turn into a YUMMMM!! The marsala, the mushrooms, the garlic chili sauce all combine to make a delicious combination of flavors that disguises the tofu and is oh, so good! Seriously, you’re going to LOVE this recipe. My DH gave it a 9.5 and I did too! Yes, it was THAT good! A 10 is reserved for those special over-the-top recipes–this one is close :). The original recipe is from eatingwell.com. I have adapted it a bit though. And just a side note, my dining room light went out last week, so while the new one was in the works, we ate by candlelight. LOL romantic, right? (see pics below 🙂 Enjoy this recipe. It’s a definite keeper!
Chinese Braised Mushrooms & Tofu
Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (optional)
- 3-4 c. mushrooms of choice or a combination, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dry marsala
- 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce (see above bottle, buy at any grocery store)
- 1 1⁄4 cups mushroom broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 c. raw cashews coarsely chopped if you like, but I just left mine whole
- Heat some of the broth in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, sauté for about 5 min or until water has cooked out of mushrooms, add cornstarch and stir for about 1 min until its mixed well with the mushrooms. Stir in marsala and cook until alcohol burns off (about 2 min) and add chile-garlic sauce, stir and cook for one min and then add remaining ingredients.
- Cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, for 10 minutes to blend flavors. Serve with brown rice and enjoy!
The candlelight dinner 🙂 and the new light fixture that I LOVE!! A special thanks to my DH for installing it :).