I’m so excited to post this guest post!! Heidi has been one of my dear friends for many years. She is a wife and an incredible mother to FIVE very handsome boys. She is a master cook, an incredible runner (one really fit chick 🙂 and just one of the sweetest friends you’ll ever meet. Also, no matter what happens to her in life, she always has a smile on her face :). Also, Heidi has some amazing gluten free recipes and they are sooooo good. Thanks so much for this post Heidi! You’re a sweetie!
Here’s the scoop from dear Heidi :).
This is one of my favorite treats! I haven’t been a huge gluten free treat lover, but since I was diagnosed with celiac a little over a year ago I have tried a lot of gluten free treats and many of them are ok but not great. But not this one! It’s one even my family will eat and you can’t tell it’s gluten free. I got this recipe from a friend, Crystal Boren.
Here are all the ingredients that go into making the cake:
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1 to1 Gluten Free Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups carrots, finally shredded
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sweet coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Grease 2 (9 inch) cake pans and set aside
3. In a large bowl cream together oil, sugars, and eggs.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.
6. Mix until just fully combined. Be careful not to over mix.
7. Fold in shredded carrots. I like to shred my carrots in my vita mix because it’s easy.
8. Also fold in the applesauce, coconut flakes and vanilla extract.
9. Pour batter evenly into prepared pan’s.
10. Bake about 25 minutes until center is set. Do not over bake! Mine usually takes about 28 minutes but check it after 23 minutes.
11. Put cake directly into freezer to cool.
12. While cakes are cooling prepare the frosting.
These are the ingredients that are used:
Ingredients for the frosting and you can double the recipe if you like the thicker layer of frosting :
8 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
4 tablespoons of room temperature butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chopped walnuts, optional
1. First cream together the room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. I like to use Greek cream cheese because it has less fat and more protein.
2. Add in the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Mix until silky and creamy. Add more sugar if the thicker texture is needed.
4. When cakes are cool remove them from the pans and frost, sprinkling the tops with walnuts.
Yes the finished cake is on a different platter because it fell off of my cake stand, so frost with care–haha. And WaLa! It’s delicious!